Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Kielbasa is pronounced "ka-bossy"


Ever since I turned 22 years old, I'm often at a loss when asked my age.  I spit out, "Twenty-blaaaaah?"  It's rather embarrassing to forget how old you are but, on another level, it's kind of rad that I don't care enough to know.  Just yesterday, I celebrated my first time turning 29.  I think I just might remember my age this year.  I mean. . .it's the countdown to the rest of my life.

Thirty seems to be the age when everything starts to matter.  Sure, I got married at 21.  Yep, I graduated college at 27 with a degree that should actually get me the job it was intended for, pending availability.  And I pay mad bills with an awesome credit score.  But, there's something about the portentous 30 that severely drives home the abstract notion of being an adult.

It doesn't actually imply that there will be no more fun and games but it does mean that those fun and games may come at a higher price.  Or that one might possibly throw one's back out or get shin splints.  I realize that there is probably no one defining moment where you come to the realization, "I.  Am officially.  An adult."  And I would imagine, just from having been a legal adult for 11 years now, that one never forgets how to feel small, insignificant, or childish.  We spend our lives growing up.  Some of us are just better at it.

I've never been one of those people who gets caught up in age.  If someone asks me, I don't consider it rude.  And I'm happy to answer (if I am able.)  I've often wondered why women lie about their age.  Wait a minute, lady. . .wouldn't you lie. . .higher?  So that you look younger than you are?  I don't get it.  But I'm also not one of those hippie freaks on the other end of the spectrum who believes you're only as old as you feel.  That's ridiculous.  If you're 80 and hang-gliding, you're still physically 80 years old.  You're just also incredibly lucky.

I do find myself somewhat at odds nowadays, however.  I'm not sure how I feel.  I mean. . .obviously, I don't feel any different than I did 2 days ago when I was 28.  But I do know one thing, that if someone asked me how old I was, I know for sure I wouldn't be answering, "Twenty-two."

Here's some birthday fun:


Grilled kielbasa kebobs with mushrooms and red, yellow and orange peppers in olive oil, garlic salt & black pepper.


Can't have a birthday without sliced strawberries.  Mushrooms stuffed with Stouffer's Spinach Souffle with cheddar cheese and diced mushroom stalks.  Delicious baguettes from Costco.


Milk.  Does a body good.


Adam's gotta have his kosher Hebrew Nationals.  Not for any reason but that they are so much better for you than regular beef dogs.


I went back and forth on whether I wanted to go out somewhere for dessert or just pick something up and bring it home.  Since I got a lovely little chest cold for the festivities, I opted to go to the ice cream aisle of Albertson's and wait to be inspired.  I can't believe I was able to tame that inspiration down to these two choices.


Yummy in my tummy.

1 comment:

  1. I am a horrible Beastie and just now ordered your Birthday gift. I was going to have it sent to your house, but on second thought since we never see each other I think it's best to drop it off myself! So, after we hang this Saturday I will see you in another 5-10 Working/Shipping days!

    ReplyDelete