Tuesday, April 5, 2011

♫ ♪ But who cares? No big deal. I want more. ♪ ♫


Is Disney making homage to itself?  This is not an assumed contempt, just an observation.  Because I kind of like it.  It's like they're tipping their hats to the humble past from whence they came; offering up little easter eggs for observant fans to gleefully point out to their annoyed friends who just want to watch the movie.  I am one of those annoying and observant fans.

Having recently watched Tangled, Disney's newest foray into fairytaledom, I was actually delighted to experience a few recognizable moments.  I know full well that Alan Menken is a brilliant song-writer who is surrounded by a team of people aiding him in creating the memorable songs of Disney animated features.  Therefore, I don't think it's a mistake when, in the performance of "I See the Light," Flynn Rider sings the words "crystal clear" in almost the exact same fashion as Jasmine in Aladdin's "A Whole New World."

"If she's here, it's crystal clear."

"When I'm way up here, it's crystal clear."

An Oscar-winning composer and musician does not make that kind of mistake unless it's on purpose.

I know there are many who have compared the lantern scene to the ballroom of Beauty & the Beast.  And I didn't, for once, feel drawn away by the fact that this was CGI and not the cell animation that Disney monopolized the world with for so many decades.  It was a beautiful compromise.  CGI, yet hearkening back to the kind of grittier, richer atmospheres of hand-drawn characters and environments.  Nothing was too smooth, too real.

I'm not exactly certain why the soundtrack, albeit popular anyway, is getting thrashed by critics for having unmemorable songs.  I LOVED that the songs were not catchy!  Love, love, loved it!  I am so tired of being spoon fed marketable crap.  Children should be exposed to more than a catchy chorus.  How about some songs with depth?

After seeing this movie in the theatre on a date with Adam, I remember discussing, on the way home, that the songs felt so intrinsic to the film.  Many animated musicals come off as contrived.  "Alright, this moment could do with a song so let's stick one in."  Oh, no no no.  In Tangled, the music numbers were exactly where they should be.  They happened as if the moment required nothing more or less.  It was seamless.  In a world where people burst into song, this is how it would happen.

There was a sense of Broadway involved.  I think that was the difference.  Instead of some catchy tunes kids can learn for dull talent shows, we've got a full score where each song depends on the other.  The songs aren't just for the sake of songs because this is a Disney movie and we've just gotta have 'em!  They tell the story.  It's like an opera.  Only, good.

I also enjoy how there were critics from the get-go who announced it was stupid to change the name to Tangled from the well-known Rapunzel.  I believe there is a quote saying something about how it's like, "changing The Little Mermaid to Beached."  Um.  Okay.  Is it just as blasphemous to change the entire ending of the original tale of The Little Mermaid in which she throws herself into the sea out of heartbreak and sacrifice and turns into foam on the waves?  Not exactly a Disney classic if they had gone that route.  Tangled was a fantastic name for a fantastically altered revision of the story of Rapunzel.  Fair enough.

I really enjoyed the movie.  I bought it, in fact.  Maybe it's just me but I tend to shy away from "classics" like Snow White and "Pinocchio" because I find them boring and completely devoid of character depth.  I didn't even like them as a child.  How wonderful that there are filmmakers who are awakening to the idea that children deserve a whole lot more than evil witches, fair princesses, and dashing princes?  Children deserve to know why witches are evil.  What princesses are capable of.  And that sometimes, the dashing guy isn't a prince at all.

Why should animated films cater to simplicity?  Children are incredibly smart.  Of course they can believe in magic and true love's kiss.  They should just be given the opportunity to see where that magic comes from.  How a kiss is won.  In a created world of personified animals and furniture, give us something real to bite into!  No matter what the universe of an animated film, the characters, the relationships should denote reality.  That way, we can all escape into a fantastical dream of adventure and seemingly impossible developments but still learn something about people, about ourselves.  Whether we're children in age or at heart.

Speaking of Disney homages, however, is it just me or is there an almost-missed allegiance in Toy Story 3?  When Andy opens up his old toy chest to reminisce or whatever he does, I could swear the score indicates, "Look at this stuff, isn't it neat?"

No comments:

Post a Comment