Monday, March 28, 2011

You make me happy when skies are grey


I find joy in spring.  I haven't been a big fan of snow ever since I was too old to wear a snowsuit.  Since before I felt the PTSD associated with skidding on the ice inside of a ton of steel.  I love the rain.  I love the splashes of color as flowers begin to awaken.  I absolutely adore the color green.  In all its many shades.  Yes, Mum.  Even that horrific neon lime green.  I'm a green equal opportunist.  In fact, I'm a color equal opportunist.  Except purple.  I'm not really into purple.

I think I might have been born with the armpits of a perpetual 14-year old boy standing in front of the girl he likes because I hate summer.  Sure, as a youngling, I couldn't wait for "no school, yes pool" but I've grown out of it even to the point of being one of those people who goes to the beach to read.  Maybe it's the impending doom of getting older.  Much like you begin to come to terms with mortality, the same can be said with humility.  Or maybe I'm just boring.  Or maybe I just really, really, really hate being hot.

I opt for the milder seasons.  Fall is my favorite.  I like leaves far better than flowers.  As a child, I wanted to be one of those maidens who lived off in the middle of the forest in a house covered in ivy.  Until I realized that it compromises the structural integrity of the home and the forest is a haven for creepy-crawlies.  Man, ignorance really was bliss.

The first day of spring was March 20th.  It was 50 degrees, windy and it rained.  This is, after all, the Pacific Northwest.  The sun shone, however, and it was a brilliant sign of good things to come.  I know every one else seems to be done with the precipitation but I welcome it.  Why?  Because I got these rad waterproof boots for Christmas that I didn't use much for snow since I found a million reasons to stay inside when it did.


I love these boots.  Totally worth every penny.  I could do without the fur but I will not complain about them because they are as close to perfect as they could get for my use.

I also just bought a new Fossil hobo bag at Ross.  Quite the deal, I must say.  To the tune of a savings of $100, in fact.  Thank you Ross.  I will be dressing for less.


I've never been much for purses.  I wish I had that little pouch Hermione uses in Deathly Hallows.  That would be spectacular.  Sure would make flying easier.  Well, easier in the baggage department anyway.  I would still have to suffer my complete inability to react normally to air pressure.  Imploding brains on approach and descent are kind of my forte.

Being a girly girl is not.  I've made strides in the past decade but I still have a hard time embracing my female-hood.  In other words, purses are awkward.  But come spring and summer, I can no longer wear my most favorite of wardrobe choices, The Jacket, and stuff the pockets with all of my needed belongings.  Which usually only consist of my cell, a tube of Carmex, my teeny tiny wallet-fold and my keys, which I've recently and thankfully pared down.  I can not believe how many keys I have.  Even more unbelievably, I actually need and use them all.  As for toting this junk around, I used to employ the jeans backpocket route...but that did not last long.  After you lose a few things to the toilet, you learn.  Not always as quickly as you should.  But you learn.


I think this new bag is my style.  It's not shiny.  It's not made of fake crocodile or snake skin.  It doesn't have a deluge of glittering buckles.  It's not tiny and it's not huge.  It doesn't have someone else's name all over it.  And lucky me, it came with a key.  Just what I need.

Though spring has sprung, the foliage around my place has yet to show me such.  There's quite a bit of green but not much of any other color.  And more than enough naked twigs.  The silver lining is a friend (thanks Andrea!!) gave me some beautiful pink tulips that definitely spruce up my apartment and make me hopeful for the influence to spread outside.  Though, Adam's not really happy about this spring spreading business.  Thank goodness for over-the-counter Allegra.



It's been rather dark and drizzly over the past few days, so my poor flowers weren't getting much sun.  I tied them up to keep them from drooping as I don't have a taller vase.  Hopefully, they'll band together (hehe) and  make it a few more days.  The sun's trying to peek out and give us a smile but those clouds aren't having it.  One of my little blooms got decapitated, the circumstances of which are unimportant.


It's okay, though.  I made do.


Here's to April showers bringing May flowers.  But no more keys.

No comments:

Post a Comment